Mungodi is a delicious curry that is made with day-old daal pakodas (lentil fritters).
Mungodi Curry (Lentil Fritter Curry)
2 -3 cups day old mungi daal pakodas (lentil fritters)
3 plum tomatoes, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
2” ginger, chopped
7-8 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. dhaniya powder (coriander)
1 tsp haldi powder (turmeric)
1 tsp. amchur powder (dry mango powder)
1 tsp. jeera seeds (cumin)
Red chilli powder to taste
3 – 4 tbsp. cilantro, chopped
Salt to taste
• Grind the tomatoes, onions, garlic and ginger with a little water in a blender.
• Heat 3 tbsp. oil in a wok and add jeera seeds.
• When the seeds begin to pop, add the ground tomato mixture.
• Cook well for about 15 minutes.
• Add the dhaniya, haldi, amchur, salt and chilli powder.
• Mix well and cook covered on a medium flame for about 15 minutes.
• Add 5 cups of hot water and mix well.
• Add the pakodas and allow the gravy to come to a boil.
• Cook uncovered for about 10 minutes, until the pakodas have absorbed the gravy.
• The dish should still have plenty of gravy ( it should not be too dry)
• Remove from fire, garnish with cilantro and serve hot with basmati rice.