These little teriyaki burgers are so yummy! The first time mother in law, Atsuko, who is one of the most phenomenal cooks I know, made these for me – I couldn’t believe something so simple could taste so good. Now I make them with my own little healthy twist where I add broccoli to it. You could also put shredded carrots instead of broccoli or you could leave the veggies out of it altogether.
Chicken Teriyaki Burgers
2 pounds ground chicken
1 cup bread crumbs ( I use the Japanese Panko bread crumbs but any kind should be fine)
1/2 cup fine chopped white part or scallion/leek or onion
1 cup finely chopped broccoli
- Mix all the above ingredients together very well.
- Make them into small burgers and set aside.
- Heat 1-2 tablespoons of oil in a frying pan.
- Add 4-5 small burgers in and let it cook for about a minute or till it begin to brown on the bottom.
- Flip the burger over and press it down to flatten it out a bit.
- Cover it and cook till its done.
- Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Cook the rest of the burgers the same way.
I make a lot of sauce as we all love to eat the burgers on rice doused in sauce. I usually double this recipe.
1/4 cup soya sauce
1/2 cup mirin ( this is a sweet sake available at any local asian grocery store)
3 tablespoons sugar
1/8 cup oyster sauce
- Mix all the above ingredients until it is dissolves.
- Put sauce in a wok and bring to a boil.
- Let it cook for about 3 minutes till it begins to thicken a little and come together.
- Put the cooked burgers in the wok with the sauce and gently allow the burgers to be coated by the sauce.
- Cook this for 2-3 minutes more and serve with plain rice or spinach fried rice