This is a great summer dish when you can get your hands on really great quality tomatoes. My mother in law Atsuko used to make this simple tomato pasta salad really often which was really refreshing and a hit with kids and adults alike.
The better the quality of your tomatoes – the better this dish will taste. You will have to adjust the quantity of tomatoes according to the type you use. I usually use heirlooms or new jersey tomatoes but you can also use super sweet cherry tomatoes, plum or Roma.
You can choose any kind of pasta though I prefer the the shorter tubular ones, farfalle or fusilli. Always use a good quality EVOO – I personally love Brightland.
Tomato Pasta Salad
3/4 lb pasta, cooked according to directions
5 large ripe tomatoes, blanched, skin peeled and chopped
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 small red onion, minced
1 bunch fresh basil, washed and hand torn into smaller bits
1/2 extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
Salt & pepper
- Blanch and peel the tomatoes. Chop them into small cubes and set aside.
- Add the onions to the tomatoes and mix well.
- In a small jar add garlic, olive oil, lemon, sugar, salt & pepper. Shake till well combined.
- Add about 3/4ths of the dressing to the tomatoes and mix well. Reserve the left over vinaigrette for later use.
- Place the cooked pasta in a large serving bowl. Pour the tomato mixture on top, add basil and combine well.
- Taste and adjust by adding more seasonings or vinaigrette if needed.