Pomelo is one of our family’s favorite fruits.
It is a fabulous version of a large grapefruit that is very common in Thailand. It can be eaten in many ways but the most common ways are to eat it just as a fruit or make a salad with it.
I find that Pomelo is quite abundantly available in the fall season here in New York. I see it everywhere from the local Asian supermarkets to Costco.
This is a really simple salad I make with Pomelo.
Easy Pomelo Salad
1 pomelo, peeled, skinned and pulp removed
3 stalks scallions, chopped
1 holland pepper, diced
1 – 2 shallots, sliced thin
3 tbsp cilantro, chopped
4 tbsp roasted peanuts, chopped (optional)
4 tbsp fried onions, chopped (optional)
3 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp fish sauce (can substitute with soy sauce)
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp palm sugar or brown sugar
• Combine all the above ingredients together, mix well and set aside.
• Place pomelo pulp in a bowl.
• Mix in holland peppers, scallions and shallots.
• Add the dressing and adjust seasoning to taste.
• Garish with cilantro, fried onions and peanuts.