My neighbor Violet makes this really simple rice dish which is to die for!!! Its so healthy, chock full of carrots and tastes so good. My kids can’t get enough of it. You can make it with chicken or skip the meat and make a veggie version using tofu. Here is my version of her recipe.
2 cups of finely chopped onions
5 cups of carrots chopped in long slivers or small 1 inch pieces
2 pounds of chicken thighs either with or without bones
2 cups of extra firm tofu chopped into cubes
2 cups of washed basmati rice or any long grained rice
4 cups of water/ stock ( there should be enough water to just about cover the rice and meat/veggies)
Salt & pepper to taste.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a cooking pot.
- Add chopped onions and carrots to the oil.
- Stir for a few minutes till the onions begin to soften (about 5 minutes).
- Add in the chicken pieces or tofu.
- Cook for about 10 minutes till the meat is semi cooked.
- Add in the washed rice.
- Mix well.
- Add water/ stock.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add 3 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Mix everything well.
- Cover and cook for about 25-30 minutes on medium heat till the rice and meat/ tofu is well cooked.
- Serve hot.