Here is a beautiful looking and tasting rice dish that uses the plethora of beets that I get in my winter CSA organic box. This dish can be eaten by itself or served alongside pretty much anything. I love the vibrancy of colors and flavors. Click here to print recipe.
Beet and Asparagus Rice
4 medium sized beets, washed and chopped into small cubes
Chop asparagus into 1” bits and set aside.
1 large onion, sliced
1” piece of ginger, minced
1 cinnamon stick
2-3 star anise
2 cups uncooked long grained rice (basmati), washed and set aside
3 1/4 cups broth or water
1 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp chili powder (optional)
1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
2 tbs ghee or any oil
Salt & pepper to taste
- Heat oil on medium high in a large sauté pan (I used a paella pan).
- Add ginger, stir for a 30 seconds, add cinnamon, star anise and onions and sauté for 4-5 minutes till the onion begin to soften.
- Add the chopped beets and mix well.
- Add the turmeric and chili powder and give it a quick stir.
- Add the rice, broth, seasonings and mix well.
- Cover the pan and bring the mixture to a simmer. Lower the heat and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Add the chopped asparagus and cilantro.
- Remove from flame and allow it to rest covered for an additional 10 – 15 minutes or so.
- Remove the cover and fluff up the rice, adjust seasonings to taste, top with a little ghee and serve.