Sometimes I have so many greens in my fridge I don’t know what to do with them – so I make soup. You can vary the vegetables you use in this recipe.
In this case I combined broccoli with spinach and arugula and it was really yummy!
A Very Green Soup
2 tablespoons butter
1 onion, chopped
4-5 cloves of garlic
1 sweet red pepper, chopped
A handful of mushrooms, diced (optional)
3 cups water or broth
4 cups broccoli florets, chopped
2 cups spinach
2 cups arugula
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cups milk
Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter in medium sized stockpot.
- Sauté onion, mushroom and peppers for 2 -3 minutes.
- Add broccoli, spinach and arugula and stir for 3-4 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour in and stir for a minute.
- Add the water or broth and cover and simmer for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Mix occasionally and when all the vegetables are tender puree the soup using a hand blender.
- Add salt, pepper and milk and allow the soup to simmer for a few minutes.
- Add a dollop of cream and serve hot.