Romanesco is that strange looking alien broccoli veggie that shows up from time to time in either in my organic CSA box or in the aisles of the super market. Romanesco is actually an Italian vegetable and can be cooked in a number of ways.
I tried a really easy salad recipe and ended up loving it.
Romanesco Salad Recipe
1 heads of romanesco
2 stalks of celery, sliced thin
1/2 large red onion, or one small red onion, sliced thin
1 cup loosely packed fresh parsley leaves
2 Tbsp capers, rinsed and drained
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
Freshly ground black pepper
1 clove garlic
3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
½ tsp sugar
1/4 cup high quality olive oil
- Whisk all these ingredients together and set aside
- Cut the romanesco head into florets.
- Boil water in a big pot and add the florets for 4 – 5 minutes.
- Remove romanesco florets from pot, drain and place into a bowl and chill.
- When you are ready to make the salad add celery, onions, parsley, capers, and lemon zest to the bowl.
- Toss to coat with the dressing.
- Let marinate for at least 15 minutes and hour or the longer the better.
- Sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper to serve.