For those of you who know me – you know what a spice fiend I am. I have a different kind of chili paste/ oil/sauce/ pickle for every dish!
Here is a homemade rendition of a chili oil which goes really well mostly with East Asian food. You need to have really good quality chilies – to make good chili oil. Mine are from India and the flavor just cant be beat.
Hot Chili Oil
½ cup ground red chili pepper (cayenne)
1 cup oil (use a flavorless oil like pomace or peanut)
- Heat oil in a large soup ladle.
- When oil is hot, add the ground red chili pepper to it.
- Remove from fire immediately.
- Pour into a glass jar making sure the chili is completely immersed in the oil.
- Leave jar open and allow it to cool completely.
- Close the jar once cooled and close lid.