What is more comforting and yummy than a bowl of earthy mushroom soup? This is an easy recipe where I really cut back on the heaviness of cream. I always put a little bit of dried wild mushrooms to my soup as it adds to the depth of flavor.
One of my favorite meals especially when the weather is chilly outside is a warm bowl of mushroom soup with avocado toast.
Yummy Mushroom Soup
3 tbs butter
1 ½ lbs mushrooms, chopped (any mushrooms you like – the wilder the better)
1 cup dried mixed mushroom, chopped (rehydrated)
1 large red onion or 2 small shallots, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
3 tbs. flour
1 tbsp. Organic Vegetable Base (or 2 soup cubes)
6-8 cups water
1 cup milk
3 tbsp cream (optional)
½ bunch of parsley, chopped (optional)
- Heat 2 tbsp. butter in a pot.
- Add the chopped mushrooms.
- Sauté mushroom on high heat until cooked – about 10 minutes.
- Set aside.
- In a pot heat 1 tbsp. butter.
- Add chopped onions and celery.
- Add 1 tbsp. bouillon base.
- Sauté for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add 3 tbsp flour.
- Sauté for a minute.
- Add 6 cups of water.
- Add about 3/4th of the sautéed mushrooms.
- Allow this mixture to simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Using a hand blender, puree the mixture.
- Add ¾ to 1 cup of milk and simmer.
- Add cream if you wish and simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and chili flakes
- Serve hot.