Here is another really tasty tinda recipe. This seasonal gourd is available mostly in summer in India and can be found in some Indian grocery stores in New York too. Here is one of the ways that Surinder – the cook in my parents home in India, makes this vegetable.
Masala Stuffed Tinda (Apple Gourd)
1 lb tinda, peeled and scored into fours on top, as shown
½ tsp. hing (asafetida)
Combine the following spices in a small bowl:
1 tsp. bhuna jeera powder (roasted cumin)
3 tsp. dhaniya powder, heaped
1 tsp. haldi (turmeric powder)
1 tsp. amchur powder (dry mango powder)
1 tsp. garam masala
1 tsp. salt
Red chili powder to taste
1 tbsp. oil
- Combine the above to make a thick paste
- Fill the scored tops of the tinda with the masala paste and set aside
- Heat 1 tbsp. oil in a wok or kadai.
- Add hing.
- Add the stuffed tinda.
- Stir fry for a minute of two.
- Add 2 tablespoons of water.
- Cover and cook for about 25 – 30 minutes until the tinda soften and is cooked through.
- Adjust seasonings and serve hot with rice or rotis.