Ghiya/lauki is a wonderful gourd (bottle gourd) that pretty much makes anything it is used in taste better. One can combine it with lentils or any vegetables. One of my new favorite dishes in my mother’s kitchen is when they combine ghiya with palak (spinach). This super healthy combination is really delicious too and easy to make.
Ghiya and Palak ka Sabzi (Bottle Gourd and Spinach)
1 bottle gourd, peeled and cubed
1 big bunch spinach, washed and roughly chopped
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 tsp. jeera (cumin) seeds
2 tbsp. garlic and ginger paste
2 onions, finely chopped
2 tsp. dhaniya (coriander) powder
1 tsp. amchur (dry mango powder) powder
½ tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. garam masala
Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a kadai or wok and add jeera/cumin seeds.
- Add 2 tbsp. of garlic and ginger paste.
- Add chopped onions and sauté.
- Add 2 tsp. dhaniya powder, 1 tsp. amchur powder, ½ tsp. chili powder, 1 tsp. garam masala and salt to taste.
- Cook onions for 15 – 20 minutes until browned.
- Add the chopped ghiya and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the palak/spinach.
- Cook the vegetables covered together until vegetables softened and are well combined – about 20 minutes.
- Adjust seasonings and serve hot with rice or rotis.