Here is a great recipe for a mild shrimp curry dish that has a wonderful creamy texture. The mild spices and coconut milk makes this dish taste like a crossover between something that could be Indian of Southeast Asian.
Malai Shrimp ( Curried Shrimp)
1 ½ lbs medium raw shrimp (tails on or off)
1 tbsp/ butter
7-8 cloves garlic, minced
¾ cup tomato puree
½ cup tomato paste
1 tsp. dhaniya powder (coriander)
1 tsp. jeera powder (cumin)
Red chili powder to taste
3 tbsp. kastoori methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
2 cups coconut milk
2 tsp. olive oil
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
1 tbsp fresh cream (optional)
Salt to taste
- In a small wok or frying pan, heat the olive oil.
- Add 1 tbsp. kastoori methi.
- Add the prawns and cook until they turn translucent and are almost cooked.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a cooking pot, heat butter.
- Add the minced garlic.
- Sauté for five minutes.
- Add the tomato puree and tomato paste.
- Stir well.
- Add 1 tsp. dhaniya powder, 1 tsp. jeera powder and red chili powder to taste.
- Add 2 tbsp. of the kastoori methi, cover and cook well for about 25 minutes.
- Stir occasionally.
- Add 2 cups of coconut milk and mix well.
- Allow this to come to a boil and the semi cooked shrimp to the curry.
- Mix well and allow the pot to simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add salt to taste, chopped cilantro and remove from the fire.
- You may top with off with a dollop of fresh cream.
- Serve hot with white basmati rice.