Here is a great recipe for a dry chicken curry – called “chicken sukha”. The texture of this curry is wonderful and it goes really well with rice or rotis.
Surinder’s Chicken Sukha
2 ½ lbs. boneless chicken thighs, chopped
2 tbsp. mustard oil (or use any oil you prefer)
4 heaped tbsp. garlic and ginger minced together
2 Onions, finely chopped
4 plum tomatoes, pureed
1 -2 green chilies, slit
3 tsp. dhaniya (coriander powder)
1 tsp. haldi (turmeric)
½ tsp. red chili powder
1 tsp. garam masala
1 tbsp. yogurt, heaped
2 tbsp. kastoori methi (dry fenugreek leaves)
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
Salt to taste
- Heat 2 tbsp. mustard oil to smoking point.
- Add 4 tbs. garlic and ginger paste.
- Add the chopped onions and green chilies.
- Cook uncovered for about 20 minutes on medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Add 3 tsp. dhaniya powder, 1 tsp. haldi, ½ tsp. amchur. 1 tsp. garam masala, red chili powder and salt to taste.
- Sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chopped chicken and mix.
- Add the tomato puree and yogurt.
- Mix this well, cover and allow the curry to cook over medium heat.
- Cook for about 20 minutes and then remove the lid.
- Add the kastoori methi and cook uncovered for about 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked.
- Adjust seasonings, add chopped cilantro ad serve hot with white basmati rice.