I love crumbles! They are easy – always a crowd pleaser and can be made with a myriad of combinations of fruit. Here is one with apples and blueberries that I particularity enjoy making. The recipe is inspired from the Food Network Magazine.
Apple-Blueberry Oat Crumble
For the Topping:
7 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, plus more for thebaking dish
1 cup rolled oats
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 tbsp. cinnamon
Pinch of salt
For the Filling:
3 pounds baking apples (such as Macoun or Cortland)
2 cups blueberries
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tsp ground cinnamon
Pinch of salt
2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Butter a 2-quart shallow baking dish or eight 6-ounce ramekins.
- Make the topping:
- Whisk the oats, flour, brown sugar and salt in a bowl.
- Work in the butter with your fingers until evenly moistened.
- Make the filling:
- Peel the apples and cut into 3/4-inch chunks.
- Toss with the blueberry, granulated sugar, flour, vanilla, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl.
- Transfer the filling to the prepared dish or ramekins anddot with 2 tablespoons butter.
- Squeeze handfuls of the crumble mixture and scatter on top of the fruit.
- Bake until golden and bubbly, 40 to 45 minutes.
- Let it sit 10 minutes before serving.