Our cook Surinder, in my parent’s house in India, is fabulous! I spend all summer shadowing him to learn his recipes.
We call him the “shortcut master” because he finds ways to grind and combine things to make his cooking easier and quicker. Most of the time these shortcuts work really well and sometimes not so much.
Here is his version of an Indianized Bolognese sauce he makes that both my kids and husband love. ( Pl my dear Italian friends – dont scream murder!!)
Surinder’s Shortcut Indian Bolognese Sauce
2 lbs ground meat (optional)
8-10 plum tomatoes, boiled until skin softens and pureed
12 cloves garlic, ground
2 inches ginger, ground
2 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp olive oil
1 cube stock
¾ cup ketchup
Dried oregano for seasoning
Salt to taste
• Heat oil and butter in a large pot.
• Add the ground garlic and ginger and stir for 30 seconds.
• Add the ground tomatoes.
• Cover and cook for 15 – 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
• Add the soup cube, sugar and salt to taste.
• Add the ground meat.
• Cook for 10 minutes.
• Add ketchup and adjust to taste.
• Let the mixture cook for 10 minutes.
• Add some oregano, adjust seasonings and serve hot with spaghetti.