This Indian green curry used to be one of the go to dishes served by my mom in India whenever they were entertaining.
This past summer, after many years, we resurrected this recipe and found that the love for it has passed onto the next generation with my daughter being a huge fan of it. Here is the recipe.
Cilantro Fish/ Shrimp Curry
2 lbs. firm white fish, cubed – or shrimps
2 bay leaves
½ tsp. hing (asafetida)
1 tsp. rai (black mustard seeds)
1 can coconut milk
2 bunches cilantro, ground with a little water
2 tbsp. mustard oil
12 garlic cloves
2 inches ginger
2 green chilies
1 tsp. cumin seeds (jeeera)
4 tbsp. rai (black mustard seeds)
• Grind this with a little water.
• Heat mustard oil to smoking point in a wok.
• Add the bay leaves, hing and rai.
• Add the ground garlic and ginger mixture.
• Cook for about 5 minutes.
• Add the ground cilantro leaves mixture.
• Cook for 10 minutes.
• Add the fish or shrimp.
• Cook until almost done.
• Add the coconut milk and salt to taste.
• Cook for 4 -5 minutes.
• Remove from fire and serve hot with white rice.