Rasam is a thin, spicy southern Indian soup which is really delicious. It is really healthy, easy to make and one of those soul satisfying dishes!
Here is Shanti’s recipe for a great rasam
2 inches of tamarind soaked in 2 cups of water
¼ tsp. haldi (turmeric)
5 small plum tomatoes pureed with 1 ½ cups water
Chili powder to taste
1 cup urad daal (Split red gram)
1 tsp. jeera powder (ground cumin powder)
½ tsp. ground black pepper
½ bunch cilantro, chopped
Tadka (Seasoning) :
1 tbsp. ghee
1 tsp. rai (mustard seeds)
1 sprig curry leaves
1 tsp. hing (asafetida)
• Pressure cook 1 cup of urad daal with about 2 cups of water for about 20 minutes or until soft.
• Puree the daal.
• Add 1 tsp. ground cumin powder and ½ tsp. black pepper to the daal mixture and set aside.
• Heat 2 cups of tamarind water in a separate cooking pot.
• Add ¼ tsp. haldi.
• Add the pureed tomatoes and chili to taste and 1 cup water.
• Simmer this mixture for about ½ hour.
• Add the daal mixture to this and boil.
• Add ¼ tsp. haldi and salt to taste.
• Simmer for about 20 minutes.
• Heat 2 tbsp. ghee in a small wok or kadhai.
• Add 1 tsp. rai.
• Add 2 sprigs of curry leaves.
• Add ½ tsp. hing and cilantro leaves.
• Pour this mixture onto the rasam and serve hot.