I love the freshness and vibrancy of South Indian vegetarian recipes. Poriyals are simple stir-fried vegetables made with fresh coconut. You can use any vegetables you like. Here is Shanti’s recipe for her green bean poriyal.
Shanti’s Green Beans Poriyal (Stir Fried Green Beans with Shredded Coconut)
1 ½ lbs green beans, chopped
1 tsp urad daal
1 tsp. rai (black mustard seeds)
4-5 whole red chilies
2 sprigs curry leaves
¼ cup fresh ground coconut
1 tbsp. ghee
• Heat ghee in a wok or kadhai.
• When ghee is hot add the daal, whole red chili and rai seeds.
• Stir for 30 seconds and allow it to pop.
• Add the curry leaves.
• Add chopped greens beans and stir for a minute.
• Add the grated coconut and mix.
• Cook for about a minute, add salt and remove from fire.
• Remove immediately.