Mutton cutlets are a really popular dish in India. The meat can be substituted by anything from chicken to beef. Here is a super easy recipe for yummy cutlets from my mother’s kitchen.
1 kg ground mutton
2 tsp. ground garlic and ginger
1 large onion, chopped
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
1 bunch scallions, chopped
2 tsp. dhaniya powder (coriander)
1 tsp. garam masala
1 tsp. roasted jeera powder (cumin)
2 potatoes, boiled and mashed
1 ½ cups bread crumbs (panko)
Additional panko for pan-frying
• In a pressure cooker, add ½ cup water to ground mutton and cook for about 20 minutes until done.
• Set aside.
• In a wok or kadai, heat 2 tbsp. oil.
• Add 2 tsp. of ground garlic and ginger.
• Add chopped onions, salt and cook for 10 minutes.
• Add 2 tsp. dhaniya, 1 tsp. garam masala, 1 and 1 tsp. roasted jeera powder.
• Add mashed potatoes and mix well.
• Cook for 10 minutes.
• Add the cilantro leaves and scallions.
• Add the ground mutton and add 1 ½ cups panko.
• Mix well and remove from fire.
• When cooled add 2 eggs and mix into the mixture.
• Using your hands, mix all the ingredients and mash it all well together.
• Using your hands, make several little cutlets or patties.
• Coat each cutlet in panko breadcrumbs and set aside.
• In a flat saucepan, add 3 tbsp. of oil.
• Cook the breaded cutlets for about 3 minutes on each side or until it is well browned on both sides.
• Serve warm with mint chutney or ketchup.