My aunt Nisha is a fabulous cook. Every summer I spend in Chennai, India, I harass her to teach me more and more of her delicious recipes. Here is a really easy and yummy prawn curry she made for me this summer.
Nisha Aunty’s Spicy Prawn Curry
2 1/2 lbs. medium-sized prawns, cleaned
4-5 whole red chillies ( or to taste)
1 tsp. rai ( black mustard seeds)
1 tsp. jeera (cumin seeds)
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. dhaniya powder (coriander powder)
3/4 tsp. haldi (turmeric)
Red chili powder to taste
2 sprigs of curry leaves
1 cup sambar onions, peeled (you can use chopped shallots or pearl onions instead)
1 plum tomato chopped
1 bunch cilantro leaves and stems chopped
Salt to taste
- Heat 2 tbsp. oil.
- Add 1 tsp. rai.
- Add whole dry chilies, curry leaves, jeera and onions.
- Saute well for about 10-15 minutes on medium heat until the onions brown a little.
- Add the dhaniya(coriander), haldi (turmeric), chili powders, black pepper and cilantro leaves.
- Add the prawns.
- Cover and cook for about 10 – 15 minutes until the prawns are cooked.
- Remove the lid and cook for 5 minutes more till gravy is semi-dry.
- Serve hot with white rice.