This is a really easy mixed vegetable rice called Pullao that can be eaten as a meal in itself or served with any kind of vegetables or gravy. You can use any combination of vegetables that you like in this dish.
Mixed Vegetable Rice (Pullao)
2 tbsp. ghee
1 tsp. jeera (cumin seeds)
2 bay leaves
2 green cardamom
1 large onion sliced
1 ½ cups rice ( soaked in 3 cups of water)
Equal parts of carrots, green beans, potatoes, cauliflower, peas, chopped ( about 1/2 a cup of each)
Salt to taste
- Heat 1 tbsp. ghee in a medium-sized cooking pot.
- Add jeera and let it sizzle and pop for a few seconds.
- Add the bay leaves, cinnamon, cardamom and cloves.
- Add the sliced onions.
- Cook for 15 minutes or so until the onions are browned.
- Add the mixed vegetables.
- Add the rice with it’s water and salt to taste.
- Cover and cook on a slow fire for about 25 – 30 mins until rice is cooked.
- Remove from heat , add 1 tbsp. of ghee, fluff rice and serve hot.