I love the combination of Strawberry and Rhubarb!
The Buttercup Bake Shop cookbook has a great recipe for one of the yummiest Strawberry Rhubarb Pies I have ever tried. What I love most about this recipe is the crunchy oat crumble that covers this pie – makes it all the more delicious.
Buttercup Bake Shop Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
1-1/2 cups flour
1 T. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
2-3 T. ice water
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1-1/2 cups sugar
3 T. flour
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1-1/2 cups rhubarb, cut into 1/2″ pieces
1-1/2 cups sliced strawberries
2 T. unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1 cup flour
2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup regular oatmeal
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup + 2 T. unsalted butter, softened
• Bake at 425º for 10 minutes, then at 350º.
• Make the crust using a large bowl by cutting the butter into flour, sugar and salt until it looks crumbly.
• Sprinkle with water and toss with fork until flour is moistened and can form into a ball.
• Roll out to fit a 9″ pie plate; crimp edges.
• Prepare the filling by beating the eggs until lemony in color.
• Add sugar, flour, and spices.
• Stir in the fruit.
• Gently toss until coated.
• Put into crust and dot with butter.
• Make the topping by cutting the butter into rest of ingredients until crumbly.
• Sprinkle over fruit, covering completely.
• Bake 10 minutes, reduce temperature and bake additional 25-35 minutes.
• Let cool on rack at least 30 minutes before cutting.