My bff loves palmiers. I didn’t even know of their existence until she went into ecstasies about them – so of course I had to learn how to make them.
There couldn’t be an easier recipe. All you need is puff pastry and sugar!
Palmiers/ Elephant Ears
1 cup sugar in the raw
Puff pastry, thawed (I use Trader Joe’s or Dufour – or any brand you like)
• Preheat oven to 400°F.
• Sprinkle 2 -3 tablespoons of sugar on your work surface.
• Unfold the puff pastry and place it on the sprinkled sugar.
• Roll out the pastry to an even thickness till it reaches about 10X12 inches.
• Sprinkle approximately ¼ cup of sugar onto the puff pastry and spread evenly.
• Starting at the short side of the rectangle, roll the pastry toward the center of the sheet, stopping at the middle.
• Repeat with the opposite short end, so the rolls meet and touch.
• Repeat with any more puff pastry you may have ( you can make cookies bigger by adding layers)
• Starting at one end, cut off pieces of the log, in slices about 1/2 inch in thickness.
• Place onto a baking tray covered with parchment paper.
• Lightly sprinkle sugar onto each piece.
• Bake for about 15 minutes until golden and puffed,.
• Let cool for 5 minutes.