I always get tons of turnips in my winter CSA organic box and mostly end up using them in salads. This is is a nice way of cooking them with a nice hit of Indian spices.
1 medium shallot (or onion), chopped
1 “ ginger, ground
2 – 3 turnips, chopped
1 tbsp. cumin seeds
1 tsp. coriander powder
¾ tsp. turmeric powder
Cayenne pepper (optional)
Pinch of asafetida
1 tbsp. oil
Salt to taste
• Heat oil in a wok or kadai.
• Add cumin seeds and stir till the seeds start to splutter.
• Add pinch of asafetida.
• Add the onions and ginger and cook for 4-5 minutes.
• Add the coriander powder, turmeric powder, cayenne pepper and salt to taste.
• Stir for 2 -3 minutes.
• Add the chopped turnpis and mix well.
• Add salt to taste.
• Cook the mixture for about 15 minutes until soft.
• Serve immediately with rice or rotis.