I recently went to a gathering hosted by Hearst Magazines where Celebrity Chef Alex Hitz, House Beautiful’s new food contributor and author of best-selling cookbook My Beverly Hills Kitchen, prepared a fabulous three-course dinner.
For dessert he served these fabulous bars which dessert blew me away. The recipe is actually really simple and I substituted almonds for walnuts but you can use any nuts you like.
Almond Raspberry White Chocolate Bars
Yield: One 9×13 pan, 28-32 finger desserts
2 sticks butter (16 tablespoons) salted butter, cold, and cut into small pieces, plus more for the baking pan
½ cup powdered sugar
1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
¾ teaspoon almond extract
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon salt
• Pre-heat the oven to 350° F. Butter a 9 x 13 metal baking pan.
• To the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add all of the ingredients and mix it slowly until coarse crumbs form.
• Press the crumbs into the bottom of a 9×13 metal baking sheet.
• bake the crust for 25 minutes, until it is golden brown and completely cooked through.
• Remove it from oven and let it cool completely.
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup sliced raw almonds/ walnuts
1 ½ cups seedless raspberry jam
12 ounces white chocolate chips
1 ¼ cups seedless raspberry jam
• In a small mixing bowl, toss the salt and almonds together.
• Spread the jam evenly over the cooled crust.
• Add the white chocolate chips, and top with the salted almonds/ walnuts.
• Bake the bars for 20 minutes, remove them from the oven, and let them cool.