My mother-in-law Atsuko makes this shrimp dish, which is sort of a Japanese rendition of a General Tso’s recipe. You can substitute the shrimp with chicken or any vegetable too.
Sweet and Spicy Shrimp
2 lbs shrimp, cleaned and deveined
2 cloves garlic
½ inch ginger, chopped
Cayenne pepper, to taste
1 ½ cp potato starch or cornstarch
1 tsp. sesame oil
Vegetable oil to fry with
1 tbsp. whiskey (optional)
2 heaped tbsp. sugar
3 tbsp. sake or white wine
6 tbsp. soy sauce
4 tbsp. Rice vinegar
2 tbsp. water
- Combine all the above ingredients together.
• Combine the eggs and potato starch and mix well.
• Add the shrimp to this mixture.
• Heat vegetable oil in a wok.
• Fry the shrimp until golden brown and set aside.
• In a separate wok.
• Add the sesame oil and heat.
• Add the garlic and ginger
• Add the sauce and allow it to come to a boil and cook for about 3 minutes.
• Add the shrimp in and let it cook for a minute or two until the mixture thickens a little.
• Garnish with any chopped leafy greens and serve immediately.