Jimikand is Indian Yam and is commonly cooked in Pahari or Himachali cuisine. I love Jimikand especially this recipe which really adds a spicy tang to this yam.
KHATTA JIMIKAND (Indian Yam) – A dish from Himachal Pradesh, India
1 jimikand (Indian yam), peel and cube
3 small onions, finely chopped
1 tbsp. panch phorun (Indian five spice mix)
6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2” ginger, finely chopped
1-2 sprigs curry leaves
2 green chillies, finely chopped (opt)
1 tsp. red chilli powder (opt)
1 tsp. garam masala
1 tbsp. amchur powder (dry mango powder)
5 tbsp. mustard oil (sarson ka tel)
• Heat 5 tbsp. mustard oil till smoking point.
• Add a pinch of hing (asafoetida).
• Add 1 tbp. of panch phorun masala and allow it to pop.
• Add the garlic and ginger and chopped onions.
• Cook for 10 minutes till onions are soft.
• Add curry leaves.
• Add green chillies and a little red chilli powder.
• Add the 2 tsp. coriander powder, 1 tsp. turmeric powder and salt.
• Add the jimikand.
• Mix everything well.
• Add 1 tsp of garam masala.
• Cover and cook for about 20 minutes.
• Add 1 tbsp. of amchur (dry mango powder).
• Mix well and cook for about 10 minutes more.
• Serve hot.