There are so many wonderful ways to eat chickpeas. This is a super recipe from my mother’s kitchen, which can be eaten with anything like bread, puris, rice or tikkis.
Channa Masala ( Chickpea Masala)
4 small plum tomatoes
750 grams of white chickpeas (soaked overnight and then boiled – or you can use the canned ones)
1 cup of boiled chickpeas ground with a little water
5 tbsp. garlic and ginger, ground
2 tbsp. kastoori methi ( Dried fenugreek powder)
Channa Masala ( any brand you like MDH or Everest)
1 tbsp. butter
• Heat 2 tbsp. of oil in a cooking pot.
• Add the garlic and ginger and sauté.
• Grind onion and tomatoes together and add to the pot.
• Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
• Add 4-5 tbsp. of channa masala and salt to taste.
• Mix well.
• Add the chickpeas and mix well.
• Add the ground chickpea paste.
• Add 2 tbsp. of kastoori methi.
• Simmer for 20 – 25 minutes till the mixture thickens.
• Add 1 tbsp. of butter.
• Mix well and serve hot with rice, pooris or aloo tikkis.