This past winter was the first time I ever tried “Choliya” – a tender green chickpea which is available only in winter in Delhi. I fell in love with it and ate as much of it as I possibly could in the few days I was visiting home.
There are so many possibilities with this wonderful legume and it is super healthy. Here is a lovely recipe that combines the Choliya with zucchini.
Tender Green Chickpeas with Zucchini (Choliya with Zucchini)
1 lb choliyan, washed
1 medium shallot (or onion), sliced
2 small zucchini’s, chopped
1 tbsp. cumin seeds
1 tsp. coriander powder
¾ tsp. turmeric powder
Cayenne pepper (optional)
Pinch of asafetida
1 tbsp. oil
Salt to taste
• Heat oil in a wok or kadai.
• Add cumin seeds and stir till the seeds start to splutter.
• Add pinch of asafetida.
• Add the sliced onions and cook for 4-5 minutes.
• Add the coriander powder, turmeric powder, cayenne pepper and salt to taste.
• Stir for 2 -3 minutes.
• Add the chopped zucchini and mix well.
• Add the Choliya.
• Add salt to taste.
• Cook the mixture for about 20 minutes until soft.
• Serve immediately with rice or rotis.