New Delhi in the winter is a real wonderland for seasonal vegetables. One of my absolute favorite dishes is “sarson ka saag” which is a classic Punjabi dish which combines spinach and mustard greens. It is usually eaten with “makki ki roti” which is made with coarse ground corn flour.
Spinach with Mustard Greens (Sarson Ka Saag)
1 large bunch mustard greens, washed and chopped
Fresh spinach leaves (half the amount of mustard greens)
4 small plum tomatoes
2 medium shallots (or onions)
½ head of cauliflower, coarsely chopped
1 ½ turnips, coarsely chopped
5 garlic cloves
4 “ ginger, peeled and sliced
2-3 whole green chilies (optional)
2 tbsp. corn flour (medium ground)
1 tbsp. amchur (dry mango powder0
1 tbsp ghee
Salt to taste
- In a large pot with boiling water, add the greens, cauliflower, shallots and tomatoes and boil until vegetables are softened.
- Grind and set aside.
- In a wok or kadai, heat 2 tbsp. oil.
- Add sliced ginger and green chilies.
- Stir for a minute.
- Add the ground vegetables.
- Mix well and cook for 25 minutes covered.
- Add 1 tbsp ghee.
- Add salt to taste and serve with hot “makki ki roti’s”.