Chops in India are called “chaamps” or chops. We very rarely eat any kind of red meat but for an occasional calorie splurge this is a worthy recipe. These spiced mutton chops are spectacular.
It’s a really simple recipe but requires a long cooking time. If you can marinate the chops for a few hours ahead of time – it would turn out even better. This recipe makes a huge pot full of chops – you can reduce the recipe by half for a smaller amount
Curried Mutton Chops
2 kgs muttonchops
2 lbs onions, sliced
3 tbsp garlic and ginger paste
4 tsp coriander powder
2 tsp. turmeric powder
Pinch of asafetida
2 tsp. garam masala
2 tbsp. mustard oil
3 cups yogurt
2 tbsp. kastoori methi (dried fenugreek leaves), roasted slightly and crumbled
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
• Mix all the above ingredients together in a wok.
• Let it marinate for an hour or so ( you can skip the marination too)
• Cook the entire mixture on a medium flame for about an hour.
• Add the roasted kastoori methi and cook for about another ½ hour.
• The mixture should turn into a dryish, dark, thick curry and you should be able to see the individual pieces of chops.
• Continue to cook until you test the meat on chops and find it is tender.
• Mix in chopped cilantro.
• Adjust seasonings and serve hot.