Who does not love chocolate cake? Throw in some really good quality chocolate into the mix and you have yourself a winning combination! Here is the recipe for the Buttercup Bakeshop’s amazing chocolate layer cake (or cupcakes). The recipe is from their cookbook – Buttercup Bakes at Home.
Buttercup Bakeshop’s Chocolate Layer Cake
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
4 large eggs, at room temperature
6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
¾ cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup sour cream
Chocolate Buttercream Icing or Vanilla Buttercream Icing (recipes follow)
• Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
• Grease and lightly flour two or three (9×2-inch) round cake pans, then line the bottoms with wax paper.
• In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
• Set aside.
• In a large bowl, cream the butter and the sugars on the medium speed of an electric mixer until fluffy, about 2 to 3 minutes.
• Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
• Add the chocolate, mixing until well incorporated.
• Add the dry ingredients in thirds, alternating with the buttermilk and vanilla, beating after each addition until smooth.
• Stir in the sour cream.
• Divide the batter between the prepared pans.
• Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
• Let the cakes cool in the pans for 10 minutes, Remove from the pans and cool completely on a wire rack.
• When the cake has cooled, frost between the layers, then the top and sides of the cake.
• Frost with Chocolate Buttercream Icing
IF YOU’RE MAKING CUPCAKES:
• Line two 12-cup muffin tins with cupcake papers.
• Spoon the batter into the cups to about two-thirds full.
• Bake until the tops spring back when lightly touched, about 20 to 22 minutes.
• Let the cupcakes cool in the pans for 10 minutes.
• Remove the cupcakes from the pans and cool completely on a rack before icing.
Makes one 2 or 3 layer 9-inch cake and serves 8 to 10, or approximately 2 dozen cupcakes
CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM ICING
Makes about 4 ½ cups
This yields icing for one 2- or 3-layer 9-inch cake, or 2 dozen cupcakes
1 ½ cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
2 tablespoons milk
9 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled to lukewarm
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups (or slightly more) confectioners’ sugar
• In a large bowl, beat the butter until creamy, about 2 to 3 minutes.
• Add the milk slowly and blend until smooth.
• Add the melted chocolate and beat well.
• Add the vanilla and beat another minute or so.
• Gradually add the sugar and beat until of desired consistency.
• Use and store the icing at room temperature, as the icing will set if chilled.
• It can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.