Shammi Kabab is a classic Punjabi snack made with ground meat, lentils and spices. These kababs when made right melt in your mouth and when served hot will be gone in minutes.
1 lbs mutton or lamb, ground
1 cup yellow split peas ( channa ka daal)
1 onion, chopped
½ onion, finely chopped
2 green or red chillies
2 cloves garlic
2-3 bay leaves
1 tsp. jeera ( cumin seeds)
1 black cardamom ( moti elaichi)
1” cinnamon (dalchini)
4-5 black peppercorns
1 tbsp. khus-khus ( white poppy seeds)
½ bunch cilantro, finely chopped
Salt to taste.
• Combine all the above ingredients (except ½ onion finely chopped and cilantro) in a pressure cooker.
• Add 1 ½ cups of water.
• Cook in the pressure cooker until the lentil is softened and meat is cooked (about 20 minutes)
• Carefully remove the cover of the pressure cooker and cook the meat mixture uncovered until all the liquid disappears.
• Grind this in a food processor.
• Add the finely chopped onion and cilantro to the mix and adjust seasonings.
• Shape the meat mixture into 2 inch patties and set aside.
• Heat a flat pan with oil and pan fry the kababs until golden brown on both sides.
• Serve hot with mint chutney.