Potatoes make for the ultimate comfort foods in many cultures. Aloo tikki is a very popular street food in India. It is our version of a potato pancake. There are many ways of eating tikki’s . You can have it plain with mint chutney, with channa or in chaat.
6 medium sized potatoes, boiled and peeled
2 tsp. dhaniya powder ( coriander)
2 tsp. amchur powder (dry mango)
½ tsp. garam masala
½ tsp. roasted jeera powder ( cumin)
2 cups of fresh breadcrumbs (cut crusts of bread and mince in a food processor)
½ cup scallion, finely chopped
½ cup cilantro, chopped
Salt to taste
• Heat 3 tsp. of oil.
• Add the dhaniya, amchur, garam masala and jeera powder to the oil.
• Allow it to cook for 2-3 minutes (do not let it burn).
• Add this cooked masala to the boiled potato and mash it together.
• Add the scallion, cilantro and fresh breadcrumbs and mix it well.
• Add salt to taste.
• Create small patties of about ¾ inch thickness and 2 inches in diameter.
• Set aside.
• Heat oil in a griddle or frying pan.
• Add a few tikkis to the pan and fry for about 2 minutes on each side till golden brown.
• Serve hot with green chutney or channa masala.