Chicken malai kababs are the most succulent of all kababs when made right. My mother’s cook Surinder makes the best kababs at home and his malai kababs are unbelievable. The longer you marinate the chicken, the better the kababs turn out.
Here is Surinder’s recipe.
Surinder’s Chicken Malai Kababs
3 lbs of boneless chicken thighs cut into 2” cubes
3 cups of yogurt
¼ cup cream
2 tablespoons of garlic and ginger paste
4 tablespoons of vinegar
¾ cup of cornstarch
3 tbsp Kastoori Methi – dried fenugreek (optional)
1 teaspoon garam masala
Salt and pepper to taste
Oil for basting
• Marinate the chicken cubes with 4-5 tablespoons of vinegar and set aside.
• In a separate bowl mix the yogurt, cream, eggs, garlic & ginger paste, garam masala, salt & pepper and cornstarch to make the marinade.
• Mix the chicken cubes with the above marinade.
• Set aside for a few hours or overnight. (You may leave it in the fridge)
• After a few hours, remove from fridge and let the chicken marinade reach room temperature before cooking.
• Heat oven to 375°F or 190°C or fire up your grill.
• Put the chicken cubes on skewers and lay them on a grilling rack on a cookie sheet or cook directly in your tandoor/grill.
• Make sure you turn the chicken pieces/skewer and baste with oil once or twice during the cooking process.
• Cook chicken until done – this should take about 10 minutes on a grill (open flame) or about 15 minutes in the oven.
• Serve with any of your favorite chutneys.