Ghiya Ka Subzi (Curried Bottle Gourd)
1 large lauki (bottle gourd), peeled and cubed
2 tsp. garlic and ginger paste
1 onion, finely chopped
1 tsp. haldi (turmeric)
1 tsp. rai (mustard seeds)
Pinch of hing (asafetida)
2 tsp. mustard oil (or any oil of your choice)
Salt to taste
• On a medium flame, heat mustard oil in a wok to smoking point.
• Add the rai and let it pop (about 40 seconds).
• Add hing.
• Add the garlic/ ginger paste.
• Add the chopped onion and stir.
• Add the haldi and salt.
• Mix well and cook for about 3 minutes.
• Add the chopped lauki and mix well.
• Cover and cook for about ½ hour stirring from time to time.
• Remove from heat when the vegetables have softened and cooked down but are not mushy.