This is a wonderful fusion Indian recipe that Chef Ansari shared with me during my Maldivian cooking class at Laamu.
Haldi Chili ka Macchi (Poached Fish with Turmeric) : A Recipe from Six Senses Laamu, Maldives
1 small Reef fish fillet (use any firm white fish)
½ tsp. Cumin seed
1 tbsp. Oil
A pinch turmeric powder
½ tsp. Curry powder (can use garam-masala powder)
1 small Green chili, chopped
1 onion, sliced
1 tsp. Garlic-ginger slices
1 tsp. cilantro leaves
Salt to taste
½ tsp. Lemon juice
1 tbsp. Cooking cream
1 tsp. Butter
½ tsp. kastoori methi (fenugreek leaves), roasted
A few seasonal vegetables, blanched (or mashed potato)
• Heat oil in a sauce pan and add cumin seeds
• When seeds pop add onion, garlic, ginger green chili, turmeric and curry powder.
• Sauté for few minutes.
• Add water and cilantro leaves.
• Let it come to a boil and add the fish fillet.
• Poach the fish in the broth until fish is cooked.
• Remove the fish from the broth and keep aside.
• Add cooking cream and butter reduce the broth till pouring consistency like cream.
• Strain the sauce and finish with roasted crushed kastoori methi leaves and lemon juice, check seasoning for seasonings.
• Serve the poached fish with mashed potato and blanched seasonal vegetables.
• Plate the fish on top of mashed potato or seasonal vegetables.
• Pour the sauce over the fish.
• Garnish with micro herbs or coriander leaves