The cuisine of the Maldives has influences from its neighboring countries of India and Sri Lanka and thus curry is a big part of their everyday food.
Even though a lot of the spices used in the curry are similar, the Maldivian chicken curry still distinguishes itself. Curries can be made using chicken, fish or vegetables.
Here is a recipe for a Maldivian chicken curry.
Maldivian Chicken Curry
300g chicken thighs
1 tbsp chicken curry powder (Maldivian Curry powder or Indian okay too)
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp cumin powder
Few curry leaves
1 piece pandan leaves
Small cinnamon stick
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tsp garlic-ginger chopped
2 chopped tomato
2 tbsp vegetable oil
Salt to taste
4 tbsp coconut cream ( or coconut milk)
1 cup Water
• Heat oil in a saucepan.
• Sautéed onion, garlic, ginger cinnamon, cardamom, curry and pandan leaves, until all ingredients get light brown in color.
• Add turmeric, cumin and curry powder.
• Cook for 2-3 minutes add tomatoes.
• Stir well and cook for about 15 minutes until the tomatoes are cooked.
• Add water and chicken cook until chicken is tender.
• Finish with coconut cream and check the seasoning
• Serve with steamed rice, papadam and chutneys.