These Maldivian fish cutlets were one of my favorite kinds of hedhika (short eats) on the island. A simple combination of tuna and potatoes fried to a perfect crunch makes for a great anytime snack.
Maldivian Fish Cutlet: A Recipe from Six Senses Laamu, Maldives
2 cans tuna
2 onion, finely chopped
2 curry leaves, finely sliced
2 cups flour
Oil for frying
Salt to taste
Black pepper to taste
1 egg, beaten
1 Potato, boiled and chopped coarsely
• Mix the onions, chilies, lemon juice, curry leaves, salt and pepper together.
• Add tuna and potato and mix well.
• Using your hand, squeeze this mixture together.
• Shape this mixture into small balls.
• Dredge the balls in flour first and then the egg.
• Cover balls with breadcrumbs.
• Deep fry in 180 °C oil around 5 minutes until golden brown.