Sherien Aunty’s Podlungai Poriyal (Stir Fried Snake Gourd with Coconut)
4 cups of podlungai, peeled, deseeded and sliced (soak in water and salt)
4 tbsp. toor daal, boiled till just tender and drain
3 dried chilies
1 tsp. jeera (cumin seeds)
1 tsp. rai ( black mustard seeds)
1 tbsp. urad daal
1 shallot or small onion, sliced
Few curry leaves
½ cup fresh shredded coconut
Salt to taste
• Heat 2 tbsp. oil.
• Add the whole chilies, 1 tsp cumin seeds, 1 tsp. mustard seeds and whole urad daal.
• Stir for a few seconds until the mustard seeds pop.
• Add the sliced onion and curry leaves.
• Remove the podlungai from the water and squeeze dry.
• Add the podlungai to the onion mixture.
• Add salt to taste and 2 tbsp. water.
• Cover and cook for 5 minutes or so.
• Add the cooked toor daal and mix well.
• Add the shredded coconut and stir.
• Cook for about 2-3 minutes and serve hot.