Literally translated Hara Bhara Kabab means green stuffed kabab. This is a wonderful vegetarian version of the shammi kabab made with spinach and lentils, this makes for a really wholesome, healthy snack.
Hara Bhara Kabab
1 bunch spinach leaves, stems removed and washed
1 cup yellow split peas ( channa ka daal)
1 onion, chopped
2 green or red chillies
2 cloves garlic
2-3 bay leaves
1 tsp. jeera ( cumin seeds)
1 black cardamom ( moti elaichi)
1” cinnamon (dalchini)
4-5 black peppercorns
1 tbsp. khus-khus ( white poppy seeds)
½ bunch cilantro
Salt to taste.
• Combine all the above ingredients (except the spinach) in a pressure cooker.
• Add 1 ½ cups of water.
• Cook in the pressure cooker until the lentil is softened (about 20 minutes).
• Carefully remove the cover of the pressure cooker, add the spinach and cook the mixture uncovered until all the liquid disappears. ( 15-20 minutes)
• Grind this in a food processor. You should have a thick mixture.
• Shape the spinach mixture into 2 inch patties and set aside.
• Heat a flat pan with oil and pan fry or deep fry the kababs until golden brown on both sides.
• Serve hot with mint chutney.