Meringues are such perky little cookies. What I love most about them is just how light they are and so easy to make. Here is a great recipe from Cooking Light Magazine, which really lightens up the calories on these tasty treats.
Bittersweet Chocolate Meringues
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
3 large egg whites
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup finely chopped bittersweet chocolate
• Preheat oven to 225°.
• Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
• Place first 3 ingredients in a large bowl, and beat with a mixer at high speed until foamy.
• Add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form.
• Beat for 1 minute at high speed or until mixture is shiny.
• Gently fold in chocolate.
• Spoon mixture into a large zip-top plastic bag.
• Snip a 1/4-inch hole in 1 bottom corner of bag.
• Pipe 24 (4-inch-long) zigzag shapes onto each prepared pan.
• Bake at 225° for 30 minutes with 1 pan on bottom rack and 1 pan on second rack from top.
• Rotate pans; bake an additional 30 minutes or until dry to the touch.
• Cool on pans 30 minutes on wire racks.
• Carefully remove meringues from paper; cool completely on wire racks.