This might be my new favorite quick and healthy fish recipe. Use a nice firm white fish when you cook this. In India, Basa fish works really well with this. Here in the U.S. anything from sole, flounder to butterfish would be great. I love the delicate flavors the lemongrass and galangal impart onto the fish. This is a HUGE favorite with my kids too.
Steamed Basa Fish with Lemongrass and Sesame Oil
6 fillets of Basa fish (or any firm white fish fillets)
3 tbs fresh lemongrass stalk, thinly sliced
¼ piece galangal, thinly sliced
2 tbs sesame oil plus 2 tbs to garnish with
4 tbs ginger thinly sliced into 1” strips
2 tbs soya sauce
• Marinate the fish with the lemongrass, galangal, sesame oil and soya sauce for 15-20 minutes.
• Place the fillets in pouches made using foil.
• Steam the pouches in a steamer for 7-10 minutes, until the fish is cooked.
• Remove from pouches, saving the juice.
• Plate the steamed fish and pour juices over it.
• In a small ladle heat 2 tbs of sesame oil and add 1 tsp of soya sauce to it.
• Pour the heated oil over the fish and sprinkle with slices of ginger, cilantro and scallions.