I love the way that Shirien aunty makes usli . It is one of my favorite vegetables. You can use any kind of green vegetables. She used green beans in this recipe but it works really well with broccoli and other vegetables too.
Shirien Ryan’s Green Bean Usli
¼ cup toor daal (yellow split lentils)
¼ cup channa daal (yellow split peas)
2 cups green beans chopped and par boiled
1 small onion, chopped
½ cup fresh grated coconut
3 tbsp. ground coconut
1 tsp cumin seeds
2-3 dry red chilies
1 sprig curry leves
1 tsp. cumin seeds
1 tsp. black mustard seeds
3/4 tsp turmeric
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
• Combine both kinds of yellow split peas and soak with a little water.
• Remove the water and grind the soaked dal with 1 t cumin seeds and dry red chili to taste.
•In a bowl combine the beans, ground dal mixture, coconut, salt and hing.
• Mix it well together with 2 tbsp water.
• In a wok or kadai, heat 2 tbsp. oil.
• Add cumin seeds, black mustard seeds, uraad daal and stir for a minute till the seeds begin to pop.
• Add the chopped onion and curry leaves and stir well.
• Add turmeric and stir for a minute.
• Add the beans mixture; mix well and cover and cook.
• Add salt to taste
• Stir the mixture occasionally.
• Cook for about 10 minutes.
• Add fresh chopped cilantro and remove room fire.