One of our favorite Thai spots to eat in Delhi is called Ego Thai. One of the dishes they serve there is a tangy, crispy vegetable dish which is really excellent.
Of course my mother has recreated the recipe in her kitchen and I’m amazed at just how easy it is. This dish is best when eaten hot. The sauce really adds a nice tangy flavor to the vegetables.
Crispy Vegetables with Sweet and Sour Sauce
1 packet unflavored gelatin
1 cup water
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt
½ tsp sugar
1 cup broccoli, chopped in flowerets
1 cup cauliflower, chopped in flowerets
Fresh baby corn, chopped into bite sized pieces.
1 carrot, sliced
8-9 cloves garlic, rough chopped and deep fried
• Make the sweet and sour sauce and set aside ( scroll down for the recipe)
• Wash all chopped vegetables, drain and set aside in a mixing bowl.
• In a small saucepan, dissolve the packet of gelatin over medium heat.
• Once the gelatin is completely dissolved, remove from heat.
• In a small bowl combine the gelatin with pepper, sugar, salt, cornstarch and flour and whisk well to mix.
• When the mixture is smooth, mix this in with the chopped vegetables to coat.
• In a wok, heat 4 cups of oil to fry with.
• Deep fry the diced garlic till brown and set aside.
• Then sprinkle a little cornstarch on the vegetables and deep fry them in batches until crisp.
• Drain on a paper towel and set aside.
• Place the fried vegetables on a platter, sprinkle them with the fried garlic, pour the sweet and sour sauce on top and serve immediately.
Sweet and Sour Sauce
1 tsp sugar
1 cup water, warm
1 lemon, juiced ( or 2 limes)
3 tbsp Thai sweet and chili sauce
• Whisk all of the above ingredients together and adjust for taste.