Chiva-Som, which is a wellness spa in Thailand, has some of the best food I have ever eaten. I am probably the only person who visited there and came back obsessed with the food versus the wellness activities.
I use the Chivasom cookbook frequently to recreate some of the magic of their cuisine.
OMLETTE ROLLS (KHAI YAD SAI) FROM CHIVA-SOM
6 eggs, beaten
1 tbsp sliced spring onions
4 garlic cloves
9 shallots/ or 2 medium onions, sliced thin
1 ½ lbs chicken breast, ground
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp dark soya sauce
2 tbsp honey
1 medium tomato, seeded and diced
1 bunch cilantro leaves, chopped
Pepper to taste
To Prepare Omlettes:
• To make smooth egg mixture, beat eggs and strain through a sieve to remove unwanted lumps.
• Mix beaten eggs with chopped spring onions and some 2-3 tbsp of cilantro.
• In a heated 8” non stick frying pan. add a little oil.
• Pour in about a teeth ( or a small ladleful) of egg mixture.
• Pour the egg mixture into a non stick pan over a low heat and swirl the pan to make a thin egg sheet.
• Immediately tilt the pan to spread the egg into a thin, even layer over the base.
• Keep an eye on the edges of the omelet, as soon as it becomes pale, flip it and cook on the other side.
• Cook over a medium heat until the omelet has just set and the underside is golden.
• Repeat his until all the batter is used up.
• Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a wok.
• Add garlic and shallots and cook over medium heat until soft.
• Add chicken and cook for 8 -10 minutes, stirring frequently.
• Stir in honey, both soy sauces and tomatoes.
• Simmer over low heat until slightly thickened.
• Mix in the fresh cilantro leaves and cook until they just wilt.
Making the rolls: