Kadhi is one of those classically comforting Indian dishes. It is a yogurt based curried dish, which can be made in a hundred different ways. I love the way we make it in my mothers kitchen and finally learned how to make it this past summer.
Kadhi ( Yogurt Gravy)
Ingredients for Kadhi:
1 cup besan (chickpea flour)
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp salt
1 tsp amchur (dry mango powder)
1 tsp dhaniya (coriander powder)
2 cups yogurt
1 cup water
Chili powder to taste, (optional)
• Whisk all of the above ingredients together until well mixed and set-aside.
Ingredients for Pakoras:
4 small onions (2 medium), sliced thin
½ cup besan (chickpea flour)
¾ tsp haldi (turmeric)
Few tablespoons water (2-3)
Salt to taste
• Combine all the above ingredients and mix well other using your hand.
½ tsp methi seeds (fenugreek)
1 tsp rai (black mustard seeds)
1 small dalchini (cinnamon)
5-6 laung (cloves)
1 sprig curry leaves
• In a wok or kadai, heat 3 cups of oil to fry the pakoras.
• When oil it hot, drop about 2 inch lumps of the pakora batter.
• Fry several of them at a time and remove when brown.
• When all the batter has been fried, set the pakoras aside.
• In a pot, heat 1 tbs oil.
• Add the methi, rai, cinnamon, cloves and curry leaves and stir for a minute.
• Add the kadhi mixture.
• Add 2 ½ cups of water and stir constantly for a few minutes.
• Allow the kadhi to come to a boil (about 10 – 15 minutes).
• Add the fried pakoras and mix.
• Remove immediately from heat and serve with hot basmati rice.