Bok Choy is such an easy vegetable to cook. Its beauty is in retaining all of its crunchy goodness whilst cooking it. Here is a really simple recipe that I got from the farmer in my CSA newsetter this past week.
Use vegetable stock if you can for this dish and if not then chicken broth is fine too. I also reduced the amount of butter recommended drastically – one tbsp versus three worked just fine in this recipe.
BRAISED BABY BOK CHOY
1 cup chicken or veg broth (use a good quality broth, homemade is best)
3 tablespoons unsalted butter (I used only 1tbsp)
3/4 lb baby bok choy, trimmed
1/2 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
Roasted sesame seeds for garnish
• Bring broth and butter to a simmer in a deep large heavy skillet.
• Arrange bok choy evenly in skillet and simmer, covered, until tender, about 5 minutes.
• Transfer bok choy with tongs to a serving dish and keep warm, covered.
• Boil broth mixture until reduced to about 1/4 cup, then stir in sesame oil and pepper to taste.
• Pour mixture over bok choy.