There are so many different ways to make Palda.
We always make this yogurt-gravy based dish, when serving Pahari food. Palda is one of my brother’s favorite dishes. In my mother’s kitchen, we have two recipes for Palda – both are made with potato. There is a quick one and a cumbersome one. Both are equally delicious.
Here is the recipe for the palda that requires more effort. It is well worth the extra work.
ALOO PALDA (Pahari style potatoes in yogurt gravy)
3 potatoes, peeled and chopped into finger fries
1 cup onions sliced
1 black cardamom
1 strip of cinnamon bark
1 teaspoon cumin seeds.
Pinch of hing ( asafetida)
2 tablespoons of raw rice and 3 green cardamoms (grind with 4 tablespoons of water)
6 cups of yogurt whisked
- Heat 2 tablespoons of ghee.
- Add 1 black cardamom, 1 strip of cinnamon bark, 5-6 cloves, pinch of hing and 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds.
- Add the sliced onions
- Add 2 teaspoons of coriander powder, ¾ teaspoon turmeric, 1 teaspoon garam masala and salt.
- Add the potatoes and mix well.
- Cover and cook on medium heat for 15 minutes till potatoes are almost cooked.
- Mix the ground rice with the whisked yogurt.
- Add the yogurt mixture to potatoes and keep stirring on medium heat till the gravy comes to a boil.
- Let it boil additionally for 5 minutes.
- Add salt and cilantro and serve hot.